How often is my property re-assessed?

In Cook County, property is assessed triennially, or every third year.  Elsewhere in Illinois, property is typically assessed quadrennially, or every fourth year.

Can I contest my tax assessment?

Yes, the Illinois Property Tax Code and due process provide a basis to contest your tax assessment.

What tax incentives are available to industrial property owners in Cook County?
The most common tax incentives in Cook County include incentives for re-occupancy, new construction and renovation of industrial buildings (Class 6B); new construction and renovation of apartment buildings (Class 9); and, remediation of environmental contamination (Class C).

Why is my tax bill $0.00?
If the tax bill in question is the 1st installment bill due in March, then you must either have a new PIN number or the bill for last year was $0.00.  If the tax bill in question is the 2nd installment bill due in the Fall, then the tax assessment is $0.00 (resulting in a tax bill of $0.00) either because the property is exempt from taxation or was assessed as being of no market value.

In Cook County, the 1st installment tax bill 55% of the prior year bill.  Therefore, if you have a new PIN number, the bill will always be $0.00 since the bill for the prior year was non-existent and, thus, presumed to be zero.  You may have a new PIN because you live in a new development, which was subdivided to create new lots with new PINs, or there may have been a tax division or consolidation in which your old PIN was voided and new PINs created.

If your property is assessed at $0.00, that is either because you are exempt from taxation, or your property is taxable but the Assessor has determined it has no value.  If your property has value and is being assessed at $0.00, we would encourage you to investigate why so you do not receive a back tax levy at some future date.

I just purchased a condo unit and a parking space. Do I pay taxes on both, separately?

Maybe.  Some parking spaces have a property tax number that is separate and different from your unit number, provided that each have a separate legal description.  Make sure that both bills are being paid.  If you are not sure, check with the county.